A daughter, Eadgifu, was born to Sigehelm of Kent.
Eadgifu’s father, Sighelm of Kent, died fighting in the Battle of the Holme.
Eadgifu married King Edward the Elder.
A daughter Eadburh was born to Eadgifu and Edward. The date of her birth is unknown.
A daughter Eadgifu was born to Eadgifu and Edward. The date of her birth is unknown.
A son Edmund was born to Eadgifu and Edward.
A son Eadred was born to Eadgifu and Edward.
924 (17th July)
King Edward died leading the army against a Welsh-Mercian rebellion.
924 (17th July)
Edward’s eldest son, Aethelstan, became King either immediately or after the death of his half-brother Aelfweard who died on 2nd August 924.
little is known of Eadgifu during the reign of her stepson, Aethelstan.
939 (27th October)
Eadgifu’s eldest son, Edmund, became King Edmund after Aethelstan died in Gloucester.
939 (29th November)
Eadgifu’s son, Edmund, was crowned King of England
939 or 940
Eadgifu’s son, King Edmund, married Aelfgifu the benefactor of Shaftesbury Abbey.
Eadfifu’s grandson, Eadwig, was born to Edmund and Aelfgifu.
Eadgifu’s son, Edmund, granted her estates in Kent.
Eadfifu’s grandson, Edgar, was born to Edmund and Aelfgifu.
944 (18th May)
Aelfgifu, Edmund’s wife, died
944 (after May)
Eadgifu’s son, Edmund, married Aethelflaed of Damerham, daughter of the Ealdorman of Wiltshire.
946 (26th May)
Eadgifu’s son, King Edmund I, was murdered in Pucklechurch by Leofa, a thief who had been exiled by Edmund. He was succeeded by his brother Eadred.
946 (16th August)
Eadgifu’s son, Eadred, was crowned King of England by Archbishop Oda of Canterbury at Kingston upon Thames. Eadgifu became one of her son’s chief advisors.
Eadfifu’s son, Eadred, granted her land in Sussex.
955 (23rd November)
Eadgifu’s grandson, Eadwig, became King after King Eadred died at Frome, Somerset.
955 (After 23rd November)
Eadgifu’s grandson, Eadwig married Aelfgifu.
England was divided when Mercia and Northumbria refused to accept Eadwig’s rule. Eadwig retained rule of Wessex while his brother Edgar ruled Mercia and Northumbria. Despite the division Eadwig continued to be referred to as King of the English.
The marriage of Eadgifu’s grandson, King Eadwig, and Aelfgifu was dissolved by Archbishop Odo of Canterbury on the grounds that they were too closely related.
959 (1st October)
Eadfifu’s grandson, King Eadwig, died. He was succeeded by his brother Edgar.
Eadgifu’s great-grandaughter, Eadgyth, was born to King Edgar and Wulfthryth at Kensing. It is unclear whether Edgar was married to Wulfthryth or whether Eadgyth was illegitimate.
961 or 962
Eadgifu’s grandson, Edgar, married Aethaelfled, daughter of Ealdorman Ordmaer.
Eadgifu’s great grandson. Edward, was born to King Edgar and Aethelflaed.
Edgar’s wife Aethelflaed was either divorced or died.
Edgar married Aelfthryth, daughter of Ealdorman Ordgar of Devon.
Eadgifu’s great grandson, Edmund, was born to Edgar and Aelfthryth.
Eadgifu’s great grandson, Aethelred, was born to Edgar and Aelfthryth.
Eadgifu was witness to a charter.
Published Feb 5, 2018 @ 2:56 pm – Updated –
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2018). Eadgifu of Wessex c902 – c966. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/eadgifu-of-wessex-c902-c966/ Last Accessed March 30th, 2019
You may also like:
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of England from 827 to present day Since 1327 England and Wales have shared a monarch Since 1603 England, Wales and Scotland have shared a monarch England and Ireland shared a monarch from 1254 to 1936 when the Republic of Ireland broke…
- Father - Edmund I Mother - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Spouse - Aethelflaed, Wulfthryth, Aelfthryth Children - Edward, Eadgyth, Edmund, Aethelred King of England - 959 - 975 Predecessor - Eadwig Successor -Edward the Martyr 943 (during) Edgar, was born, the son of King Edmund and his wife Aelfgifu 943 (during)…
- Father - Ealdorman Ordgar Mother - Unknown Spouse - Aethelwald, King Edgar Children - Edmund, Aethelred 945 (around) A daughter, Aelfthryth was born to Ealdorman Ordgar. 962 (around) Aelfthryth married Aethelwald, son of Aethelstan, who had looked after King Edgar when his father died. One story…
- Father - Edward the Elder Mother - Eadgifu of Kent Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 946 - 955 Predecessor - Edmund I Successor -Eadwig 923 (during) A son, Eadred was born to King Edward the Elder, son of Alfred the Great,…
- Father - Edward the Elder Mother - Ecgwynn Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 924 - 939 Predecessor - Edward the Elder Successor -Edmund I 895 (during) Aethelstan, was born to Edward, son of Alfred the Great, and Ecgwynn. Historians are divided…