1016 (23rd April)
King Aethelred died and Edward’s father, Edmund Ironside, was proclaimed King Edmund II.
1016 (after 18th October)
Edward’s father had failed to defeat Cnut and had no choice but to agree to share rule with Cnut. Cnut ruled Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia while Edmund ruled Wessex. It was agreed that on the death of either party the other would rule all of England.
1016 (30th November)
Edward’s father, Edmund Ironside, died and Cnut seized the throne of England.
Edward’s brother, Edmund, was born to Ealdgyth and posthumously to King Edmund.
Edward and his brother Edmund, were sent to Sweden to the court of Olof Skotkonung. They were possibly meant to be murdered but were sent to either Kiev or Poland. It is not clear whether their mother, Ealdgyth accompanied them.
Edward married Agatha, possibly the daughter of Yaroslav of Kiev. The exact date of Edward’s marriage is not known. His eldest daughter Margaret was born around 1045, so around 1040 is a likely date.
A daughter, Margaret, was born to Edward and Agatha in Hungary.
A daughter, Cristina, was born to Edward and Agatha in Hungary.
A son, Edgar, was born to Edward and Agatha in Hungary. He was styled Aetheling.
King Edward the Confessor learned that the Edward was still alive and sent Ealdred, Bishop of Worcester to effect his return to England.
King Edward the Confessor of England sent Harold Godwinson to try to negotiate the return of Edward and his family to England. It is almost certain that KIng Edward wanted to make Edward his heir.
Edward and his family returned to England.
1057 (19th April)
Edward died. There is no record of his being in poor health so it is likely he was murdered. He was buried in St Paul’s Cathedral.
Published Feb 16, 2018 @ 1:00 pm – Updated –
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2018). Edward the Exile 1016 – 1057. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/edward-the-exile-1016-1057/ Last Accessed January 21st, 2019
You may also like:
- Father - King Edward II Mother - Isabella of France Spouse - Philippa of Hainault Children - Edward, Isabella, Joan, Lionel, John, Edmund, Blanche, Mary, Margaret, Thomas, William King of England - 1327 - 1377 Predecessor - Edward II Successor - Richard II 1312 (13th November) Edward was born…
- Father - King George V Mother - Mary of Teck Spouse - Wallis Simpson Children - None King of England - 1936 Predecessor - George V Successor - George VI 1894 (23rd June) A son, Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David was born to Mary of…
- Ancient Julius Caesar Marc Antony Marcus Junius Brutus Marcus Tullius Cicero Octavian, Caesar Augustus Pompey Magnus Anglo-Saxon and Viking Aelfflaed of Wessex Aelfgifu of Northampton Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Aelfgifu of York Aelfgifu (wife of Eadwig) Aelfthryth (wife of Edgar) Aethelbald King of Wessex Aethelberht, King of Wessex Aethelflaed, Lady of…
- Father - Unknown Mother - Unknown Spouse - Sigeferth, Edmund Children - Edmund, Edward 992 (around) A daughter, Ealdgyth was born. 1002 (during) Sweyn Forkbeard invaded England in revenge for the St Brice's Day Massacre where Danes living in England, including Sweyn's sister, were killed by…
- Father - King Philip IV of France Mother - Joan of Navarre Spouse - King Edward II of England Children - Edward, John, Eleanor, Joan 1295 (during) A daughter, Isabella, was born to King Philip IV of France and Joan of Navarre in Paris. 1299 (8th…