This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 1070 – 1079
The monarch for this period was William I (The Conqueror)
Malcolm Canmore, King of Scotland, had made several raids into the North of England. In 1072 William rode North, invaded Scotland and forced the signing of the Treaty of Abernethy which agreed a peace. Malcolm’s son, Duncan was taken by William as a hostage.
This stated that the Archbishop of Canterbury was higher in status than the Archbishop of York.
Roger of Montgomery, Earl of Hereford and Ralph de Gael, Earl of East Anglia were new Norman Earls. Roger allowed Ralph to marry his sister, Emma even though William had forbidden the alliance.
The two men plotted to unseat William and invited the Earl of Northumbria, Waltheof and Sweyn Estrithson of Denmark to join them. Waltheof betrayed the plot to William and was imprisoned. William mobilised Norman forces and Roger was held in the West which meant he could not join Ralph in East Anglia. He was tried and imprisoned.
Odo of Bayeux and Geoffrey de Montbray moved against Ralph who fled to Brittany leaving his new wife, Emma, to face the Normans. Emma held out for two months but then agreed terms with William and left England for Brittany with a guaranteed safe passage.
The Danes arrived in 200 ships but seeing that the rebellion was no real rebellion raided York before sailing home.
Odo, Bishop of Bayeux’s new church had been consecrated and it is thought that the Bayeux Tapestry, which depicts the history of the Norman Invasion, was commissioned by him to hang in his new church. The Tapestry was made in Kent which was controlled by Odo. The exact date work began on the Tapestry is unknown but 1077 is thought a likely date.
The White Tower, the inner tower of the Tower of London, was built on Tower Hill.
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 1070 – 1079. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-1070-1079 Last accessed January 21st, 2019
You may also like:
- Father - Robert the Magnificent Mother - Judith of Brittany Spouse - Matilda of Flanders Children - Robert, Richard, Cecilia, Adeliza, William, Constance, Adela, Agatha, Henry King of England - 1066 - 1087 Predecessor - Harold II (Godwinson) Successor -William II 1027 or 1028 (during) A son, William,…
- Father - Prince Charles Mother - Diana Spencer Spouse - Catherine Middleton Children - George, Charlotte, Louis Please note: This timeline is ongoing 1982 (21st June) A son, William Arthur Philip Louis was born to Prince Charles and Diana at the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital,…
- This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 1080 - 1089 The monarchs for this period were: William I to 1087 William II from 1087 1080 (14th May) William Walcher, who had been appointed Bishop of Durham by William I following…
- Father - William I (Conqueror) Mother - Matilda of Flanders Spouse - Not married Children - No children King of England - 1087 - 1100 Predecessor - William I (Conqueror) Successor -Henry I 1057 (exact date unknown) A son, William, was born to William Duke of Normandy and…
- Father - Michael Middleton Mother - Carole Goldsmith Spouse - Prince William Children - George, Charlotte, Louis 1982 (9th January) A daughter Catherine Elizabeth was born to Michael and Carole Middleton at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading. She is known as Kate. 1982 (20th June) Kate…