This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 860 – 869
A Viking raid led by Weland attacked Winchester and set the town alight. Weland tried to fight further inland but was defeated by an Anglo Saxon force.
860 (20th December)
King Aethelbald King of Wessex died. He was succeeded by his brother Aethelberht of Kent thus uniting Wessex and Kent.
862 (13th April)
King Donald of Scotland died. He was succeeded by his nephew Constantine I.
Aella challenged Osbert for the kingship of Northumbria and won.
King Aethelberht of Wessex died. He was succeeded by Aethelred I of Wessex.
A Great Heathen Army of Vikings led by Ivar the Boneless and Halfdan Ragnarsson invaded East Anglia. They accepted a payment of horses from King Edmund of East Anglia to go away.
866 (1st November)
The Great Heathen Army marched north to Northumbria and took the city of York.
Aella and Osbert of Northumbria joined forces against the Great Heathen Army. They were both killed by the Vikings. Having conquered Northumbria the Vikings installed Egbert I as a puppet king.
Aethelred’s brother-in-law, Burgred of Mercia, appealed for help against a Viking attack. Aethelred and his brother Alfred marched north with an army but Burgred paid the Vikings to leave thus avoiding battle.
868 (20th November)
Ivar the Boneless returned to East Anglia. King Edmund of East Anglia decided to oppose the Vikings and was killed
The Viking force led by Ivar the Boneless entered Mercia and sacked the monastery at Peterborough killing the monks and abbot.
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 860 – 869. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-860-869. Last accessed August 15th, 2018
You may also like:
- Known as - Vikings, Northmen From - Denmark, Norway and Sweden The first Viking invasion was in 793 when the Vikings raided the monastery at Lindisfarne. The last was Harald Hardrada's attempt to take the English throne in 1066. 789 (during) A Viking force landed at…
- Father - Ragnar Lothbrok Mother - Aslaug Sigurdsdottir Spouse - Unmarried Children - No Children 810 (around) A son, Ubba was born to the legendary Viking, Ragnar Lothbrok, and possibly Aslaug Sigurdsdottir. The records are unclear as to Ubba's parentage but he is recorded as being…
- Father - Aethelwulf Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Wulfthryth Children - Aethelhelm, Aethelwold King of Wessex - 866 - 871 Predecessor - Aethelberht Successor - Alfred 840 (around) A son, Aethelred, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh. 840 (around) The Vikings began making raids along the South…
- Father - Aethelwulf of Wessex Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Ealhswith Children - Aethelflaed, Edward, Aethelgifu, Aethelweard, Aelfthryth King of Wessex - 871 - 899 Predecessor - Aethelred I of Wessex Successor - Edward the Elder 849 (during) A son, Alfred was born to Aethelwulf, King of Wessex…
- Father - Alfred the Great Mother - Ealhswith of Wessex Married - Aethelred of Mercia Children - Aelfwynn 870 (during) Aethelflaed was born, the eldest child of Alfred, later known as Alfred the Great, and his wife Ealhswith of Mercia. Alfred was brother to Aethelred King of Wessex. 870…