This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 870 – 879
The kings of Wessex for this period were:
Aethelred I to 871
Alfred the Great from 871
A group of Vikings left Reading and approached Englefield where a number of Saxons had mustered under King Aethelred. The Saxons succeeded in killing a number of Vikings and the rest retreated to Reading.
Aethelred and his brother Alfred attacked the gateway to the town of Reading but were beaten back by the Vikings.
Aethelred and Alfred regrouped their forces and split into two sections. Seeing the Vikings approach Alfred ordered his men to attack and they successfully repulsed the Vikings.
The Saxons, led by Aethelred and Alfred, clashed again with the Vikings but were forced to retreat.
The Saxons led by Aethelred and Alfred were beaten by the Viking force in this fierce battle that lasted several hours.
The Saxons, led by King Alfred, were beaten by the Viking force.
this was a peace treaty between Alfred and Guthrum. The Vikings agreed that they would retreat to the north where they would have their own independent kingdom. Guthrum agreed to be baptised and be King of the region which would be subject to his laws known as Danelaw.
860 – 869 << >> 880 – 889
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 870 – 879. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-870-879. Last accessed December 12th, 2018
You may also like:
- Father - not known Mother - not known Spouse - not known Children - not known 866 (during) It is thought that Guthrum was part of the Viking force led by the sons of Ragnar - Ivar the Boneless, Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, Ubba and Halfdan, known as…
- Father - Aethelwulf of Wessex Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Ealhswith Children - Aethelflaed, Edward, Aethelgifu, Aethelweard, Aelfthryth King of Wessex - 871 - 899 Predecessor - Aethelred I of Wessex Successor - Edward the Elder 849 (during) A son, Alfred was born to Aethelwulf, King of Wessex…
- This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in Anglo Saxon England 410 - 1066 410 (during) The last Romans left England after being recalled back to Rome by emperor Honorious. 430 (during) The followers of Ninian, a Christian missionary, built the first…
- Known as - Vikings, Northmen From - Denmark, Norway and Sweden The first Viking invasion was in 793 when the Vikings raided the monastery at Lindisfarne. The last was Harald Hardrada's attempt to take the English throne in 1066. 789 (during) A Viking force landed at…
- Father - Aethelwulf Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Wulfthryth Children - Aethelhelm, Aethelwold King of Wessex - 866 - 871 Predecessor - Aethelberht Successor - Alfred 840 (around) A son, Aethelred, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh. 840 (around) The Vikings began making raids along the South…