This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 920 – 929
Edward took Manchester and the Norse Vikings attacked Cheshire.
The Scottish King Constantine II submitted to Edward.
A son Eadred was born to Edward and Eadgifu.
Plegmund, Archbishop of Canterbury, died
923 (after August)
Athelm was appointed Archbishop of Canterbury
924 (17th July)
Edward died leading the army against a Welsh-Mercian rebellion.
924 (17th July)
Edward’s eldest son, Aethelstan, became King either immediately or after the death of his half-brother Aelfweard who died on 2nd August 924
925 (4th September)
Aethelstan was crowned at Kingston upon Thames. The ceremony was performed by Athelm, Archbishop of Canterbury.
926 (8th January)
Athelm, Archbishop of Canterbury, died
926 (after January)
Wulfhelm was appointed Archbishop of Canterbury
Sihtric of Northumbria, Aethelstan’s brother-in-law died. He was succeeded by a son from a previous marriage who refused to continue the alliance with Aethelstan. Aethelstan invaded Northumbria and captured York.
927 (12th July)
King Constantine of Scotland, King Owain of Strathclyde and Ealdred of Bamburgh agreed the Treaty of Eamont accepting Aethelstan as ruler of Northumbria securing peace in the North. The agreement of this treaty meant that Aethelstan had succeeded in re-taking control of the kingdoms of England. He became the first King of England.
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 920 – 929. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-920-929. Last accessed September 17th, 2018
You may also like:
- Father - King Edward II Mother - Isabella of France Spouse - Philippa of Hainault Children - Edward, Isabella, Joan, Lionel, John, Edmund, Blanche, Mary, Margaret, Thomas, William King of England - 1327 - 1377 Predecessor - Edward II Successor - Richard II 1312 (13th November) Edward was born…
- Father - Edward the Elder Mother - Ecgwynn Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 924 - 939 Predecessor - Edward the Elder Successor -Edmund I 895 (during) Aethelstan, was born to Edward, son of Alfred the Great, and Ecgwynn. Historians are divided…
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of England from 827 to present day Since 1327 England and Wales have shared a monarch Since 1603 England, Wales and Scotland have shared a monarch England and Ireland shared a monarch from 1254 to 1936 when the Republic of Ireland broke…
- Father - King Aethelred the Unready Mother - Emma of Normandy Spouse - Edith of Wessex Children - No children King of England - 1042 - 1066 Predecessor - Harthacnut Successor - Harold Godwinson 1002 or 1003 Born the eldest son of King Aethelred the Unready by his…
- Father - Ferdinand III of Castile Mother - Joan, Countess of Ponthieu Spouse - King Edward I of England Children - Eleanor, Joan, John, Henry, Katherine, Joan, Alfonso, Margaret, Berengaria, Mary, Isabella, Elizabeth, Edward, Beatrice, Blanche 1241 (around) A daughter, Eleanor, was born to Ferdinand III…