This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 940 – 949
Edmund married Aelfgifu who was associated with Shaftesbury Abbey.
The Viking Olaf III Guthfrithson, supported by the Archbishop of York, Wulfstan, conquered Northumbria and invaded Mercia.
941 (12th February)
Wulfhelm, Archbishop of Canterbury, died.
941 (After February)
Oda was appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
A son, Eadwig, was born to Edmund and Aelfgifu
Edmund took back Mercia after Olaf III Guthfrithson was killed
Edmund I made an alliance with King Olaf of York.
A son, Edgar, was born to Edmund and Aelfgifu
King Olaf of York was unable to hold York and fled to Dublin where he became King.
Edmund I re-took Northumbria.
A number of severe storms sweep across England destroying at least 1500 houses.
944 (18th May)
Edmund’s wife Aelfgifu died
944 (after May)
Edmund married Aethelflaed of Damerham, daughter of the Ealdorman of Wiltshire
Edmund conquered Strathclyde and made an alliance with King Malcolm I of Scotland
946 (26th May)
Edmund I was murdered in Pucklechurch by Leofa, a thief who had been exiled by Edmund. He was succeeded by his brother Eadred.
946 (16th August)
Eadred was crowned King of England by Archbishop Oda of Canterbury at Kingston upon Thames.
Eric Bloodaxe, the Viking, took over as ruler of Northumbria.
Eadred re-took Northumbria then marched north to Ripon where he received the submission of Northumbria at Tanshelf.
St Albans school, St Albans, was founded.
The former ruler of York, Olaf Sihtricson, returned to the North of England and was accepted as ruler of Northumbria.
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 940 – 949. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-940-949.htm. Last accessed November 9th, 2018
You may also like:
- Father - Edward the Elder Mother - Eadgifu of Kent Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 946 - 955 Predecessor - Edmund I Successor -Eadwig 923 (during) A son, Eadred was born to King Edward the Elder, son of Alfred the Great,…
- Father - Edward the Elder Mother - Eadgifu of Kent Spouse - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury, Aethelflaed of Damerham Children - Eadwig, Edgar King of England - 939 - 946 Predecessor - Aethelstan Successor -Eadred 921 (during) A son, Edmund was born to King Edward the Elder, and…
- Father - Edmund I Mother - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Spouse - Aelfgifu Children - No children King of England - 955 - 959 Predecessor - Eadred Successor -Edgar 941 (during) Eadwig, was born to King Edmund and his wife Aelfgith 943 (during) Eadwig's brother Edgar, was born…
- Ancient Julius Caesar Marc Antony Marcus Junius Brutus Marcus Tullius Cicero Octavian, Caesar Augustus Pompey Magnus Anglo-Saxon and Viking Aelfflaed of Wessex Aelfgifu of Northampton Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Aelfgifu of York Aelfgifu (wife of Eadwig) Aelfthryth (wife of Edgar) Aethelbald King of Wessex Aethelberht, King of Wessex Aethelflaed, Lady of…
- Father - Edmund I Mother - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Spouse - Aethelflaed, Wulfthryth, Aelfthryth Children - Edward, Eadgyth, Edmund, Aethelred King of England - 959 - 975 Predecessor - Eadwig Successor -Edward the Martyr 943 (during) Edgar, was born, the son of King Edmund and his wife Aelfgifu 943 (during)…