This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 950 – 959
Eric Bloodaxe succeeded in taking Northumbria from Olaf Sihtricson.
Eadred captured and imprisoned Archbishop Wulfstan of York.
The Northumbrians forced Eric Bloodaxe out of Northumbria and he was killed. The people of Northumbria gave their allegiance to Eadred.
955 (23rd November)
Eadred suffered from a digestive disorder that prevented him from properly digesting food and he died at the age of 32 years at Frome, Somerset. He was succeeded by his nephew Eadwig also known as Edwy the Fair.
955 (After 23rd November)
Eadwig married Aelfgifu, the daughter of a nobleman.
Eadwig’s behaviour upset many nobles including Dunstan King Eadred’s chief advisor.
Eadwig removed many experienced nobles from his counsel. Dunstan was exiled, or exiled himself, to Flanders.
Mercia and Northumbria refused to accept Eadwig’s rule preferring instead to be ruled by Eadwig’s brother Edgar. Eadwig retained the rule of Wessex.
As ruler of Mercia and Northumbria Edgar re-called the exiled Dunstan and made him Bishop of Worcester.
Eadwig’s marriage to Aelfgifu was dissolved on the grounds that they were too closely related.
958 (2nd June)
Archbishop Odo of Canterbury died. Eadwig appointed Aelfsige of Winchester to the position.
958 or 959
Aelfsige of Winchester, Archbishop of Canterbury died. Eadwig appointed Byrhthelm, the Bishop of Wells as Archbishop of Canterbury.
959 (1st October)
Eadwig died. He was succeeded by his brother Edgar.
Edgar proclaimed that Byrhthelm was not fit to be Archbishop of Canterbury and appointed Dunstan as the new Archbishop of Canterbury.
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 950 – 959. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-950-959.htm. Last accessed
You may also like:
- Father - Edmund I Mother - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Spouse - Aethelflaed, Wulfthryth, Aelfthryth Children - Edward, Eadgyth, Edmund, Aethelred King of England - 959 - 975 Predecessor - Eadwig Successor -Edward the Martyr 943 (during) Edgar, was born, the son of King Edmund and his wife Aelfgifu 943 (during)…
- Father - Edmund I Mother - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Spouse - Aelfgifu Children - No children King of England - 955 - 959 Predecessor - Eadred Successor -Edgar 941 (during) Eadwig, was born to King Edmund and his wife Aelfgith 943 (during) Eadwig's brother Edgar, was born…
- Father - Edward the Elder Mother - Eadgifu of Kent Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 946 - 955 Predecessor - Edmund I Successor -Eadwig 923 (during) A son, Eadred was born to King Edward the Elder, son of Alfred the Great,…
- This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 940 - 949 The kings of England for this period were: Edmund I to 946 Eadred from 946 940 (during) Edmund married Aelfgifu who was associated with Shaftesbury Abbey. 940 (early) The Viking…
- This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 920 - 929 The kings of Wessex/England for this period: Edward the Elder until 924 Aethelstan from 924 920 (during) Edward took Manchester and the Norse Vikings attacked Cheshire. 921 (during) A son…