This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 960 – 969
The king of England for this period was Edgar
960 (21st September)
Dunstan received the pallium as Archbishop of Canterbury from Pope John XII
960 (after September)
Edgar approved of the monastic reform put in place by Archbishop Dunstan. These reforms included enforcing poverty, obedience and chastity for monks.
St Paul’s cathedral in London was destroyed by fire.
A daughter, Eadgyth, was born to Edgar and Wulfthryth. It is unclear whether Edgar was married to Wulfrida or not.
961 or 962
Edgar married Aethelflaed, daughter of Ealdorman Ordmaer.
A son, Edward was born to Edgar and Aethelfleda.
Edgar’s wife Aethelflaed was either divorced or died.
Edgar married Aelfthryth, daughter of the Ealdorman of Devon.
A son, Edmund was born to Edgar and Aelfthryth.
A son, Aethelred was born to Edgar and Aelfthryth.
968 (14th May)
A son, Leofric, was born to Leofwine, Ealdorman of the Hwicce and his wife. Leofric would become famous as the husband of Lady Godiva.
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 960 – 969. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-960-969.htm. Last accessed December 14th, 2018
You may also like:
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of Denmark from 936 to present day HOUSE OF GORM Gorm the Old 936 - 958 Son of Harthacnut I Married Thyra Harald I (Bluetooth) 958 - 986 Son of Gorm the Old and Thyra Married 1. Gunhilde…
- Father - Ealdorman Ordmaer Mother - Ealda Spouse - Edgar Children - Edward 941 (around) A daughter, Aethelflaed was born to Ealdorman Ordmaer and Ealda. The date of 941 is based on an assumption that she was around 20 years old when she married. 961 (around)…
- Father - Ealdorman Ordgar Mother - Unknown Spouse - Aethelwald, King Edgar Children - Edmund, Aethelred 945 (around) A daughter, Aelfthryth was born to Ealdorman Ordgar. 962 (around) Aelfthryth married Aethelwald, son of Aethelstan, who had looked after King Edgar when his father died. One story…
- Father - Edgar Mother - Aethelflaed Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 975 - 978 Predecessor - Edgar Successor -Aethelred the Unready 962 (during) A son, Edward was born to King Edgar and Aethelflaed. 964 (during) Edward's mother, Aethelfleda was either divorced or…
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of England from 827 to present day Since 1327 England and Wales have shared a monarch Since 1603 England, Wales and Scotland have shared a monarch England and Ireland shared a monarch from 1254 to 1936 when the Republic of Ireland broke…