This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 970 – 979
Edgar’s son, Edmund died.
St Swithun’s body was moved to an indoor tomb. The moved was marred by 40 days of rain. Hence the saying ‘If it rains on St Swithun’s day it will rain for 40 days’.
Edgar and his wife Aelfthryth were crowned at Bath by Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury. This coronation is thought to have been a second coronation to mark the zenith of Edgar’s kingship. The service was devised by Dunstan and elements of it are still used for monarch’s coronations today.
Edgar received the submission of eight kings of the North, including the Kings of Scotland and Strathclyde at Chester thus strengthening his position.
975 (8th July)
Edgar died at Winchester. He was succeeded by his son from his first marriage, Edward.
975 (after 8th July)
Edward was crowned by Archbishop Dunstan at Kingston upon Thames
975 (after 8th July)
The dowager Queen and many leading nobles did not support the accession of Edward, Edgar’s son from his first marriage. They believed that Aethelred, Edgar’s son from his marriage to Elgiva should be King.
978 (18th March)
Edward was murdered at Corfe Castle by assassins acting on behalf of the dowager Queen. His half-brother Aethelred aged 10 years, styled Unready, became King.
978 (4th April)
Aethelred the Unready was crowned King of England at Kingston upon Thames.
Harvard Reference for this page::
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). English History 970 – 979. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/english-history-970-979. Last accessed February 22nd, 2019
You may also like:
- Father - Edgar Mother - Aethelflaed Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children King of England - 975 - 978 Predecessor - Edgar Successor -Aethelred the Unready 962 (during) A son, Edward was born to King Edgar and Aethelflaed. 964 (during) Edward's mother, Aethelfleda was either divorced or…
- Father - King Edward II Mother - Isabella of France Spouse - Philippa of Hainault Children - Edward, Isabella, Joan, Lionel, John, Edmund, Blanche, Mary, Margaret, Thomas, William King of England - 1327 - 1377 Predecessor - Edward II Successor - Richard II 1312 (13th November) Edward was born…
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of England from 827 to present day Since 1327 England and Wales have shared a monarch Since 1603 England, Wales and Scotland have shared a monarch England and Ireland shared a monarch from 1254 to 1936 when the Republic of Ireland broke…
- Father - Ealdorman Ordgar Mother - Unknown Spouse - Aethelwald, King Edgar Children - Edmund, Aethelred 945 (around) A daughter, Aelfthryth was born to Ealdorman Ordgar. 962 (around) Aelfthryth married Aethelwald, son of Aethelstan, who had looked after King Edgar when his father died. One story…
- Father - Edmund I Mother - Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury Spouse - Aethelflaed, Wulfthryth, Aelfthryth Children - Edward, Eadgyth, Edmund, Aethelred King of England - 959 - 975 Predecessor - Eadwig Successor -Edward the Martyr 943 (during) Edgar, was born, the son of King Edmund and his wife Aelfgifu 943 (during)…