The Vikings attacked North Devon and Somerset. Aethelbert’s grandfather, Egbert tried to defeat them at the Battle of Carhampton but he was forced to retreat.
Aethelberht’s sister, Aethelswitha, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh.
Aethelberht’s grandfather, Egbert, fought a combined force of Vikings and Cornishmen at the Battle of Hingston Down and was victorious.
Aethelberht’s father, Aethelwulf, became King of Wessex when King Egbert died.
Aethelberht’s father, Aethelwulf was crowned at Kingston-upon-Thames.
Aethelberht’s brother, Aethelstan, was created subregulus of Kent, Essex and Sussex.
Aethelberht’s brother, Aethelred, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh.
The Vikings began making raids along the South coast of England.
Aethelberht’s father, Aethelwulf was defeated by a Viking force at Carhampton.
Aethelberht’s brother, Alfred, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh at Wantage, Berkshire.
A Viking raiding force was defeated by Aethelberht’s brother Aethelstan in a naval battle off Sandwich, Kent.
Aethelberht’s father, Aethelwulf, fought a Danish force at Acleah in Surrey and was victorious.
Aethelberht’s eldest brother, Aethelstan, died.
Aethelberht’s brother, Alfred, was sent to Rome to be confirmed by the Pope. He may have been accompanied by his brother Aethelred. As a younger son, Alfred was possibly being prepared for a life in the Church.
Aethelberht’s sister, Aethelswith, married King Burgred of Mercia, sealing an alliance between Wessex and Mercia.
Aethelwulf and Burgred of Mercia joined forces to defeat the Welsh led by Cyngen ap Cadell.
Aethelberht’s mother, Osburgh, died.
Aethelberht became subregulus of Kent when his brother, Aethelbald, became regent of Wessex when his father, Aethelwulf and youngest brother, Alfred, went on a pilgrimage to Rome.
Aethelwulf King of Wessex was betrothed to Judith, daughter of Charles, King of the Franks.
856 (1st October)
Aethelberht’s father married Judith, daughter of Charles II, King of the Franks.
Aethelwulf, his new wife, Judith and his youngest son, Alfred returned to Wessex. Aethelwulf may have shared rule with Aethelbald or taken back full control.
858 (13th January)
Aethelberht’s brother, Aethelbald, became King of Wessex when their father Aethelwulf died.
Aethelberht’s brother, Aethelbald, shocked church elders and the ealdormen by marrying his stepmother.
860 (20th December)
Aethelberht became King of Wessex when his brother, Aethelbald, died in Sherbourne.
Aethelberht was crowned at Kingston-upon-Thames.
The Great Heathen Army led by the sons of the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok, Halfdan, Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, Ubba and Ivar the Boneless, landed in East Anglia.
Aethelberht died. He was succeeded by his brother Aethelred.
Published Jan 29, 2018 @ 1:04 pm – Updated –
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2018). Aethelberht of Wessex 836 – 866. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/aethelberht-of-wessex-836-866. Last accessed March 30th, 2019
You may also like:
- Father - Aethelwulf Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Judith of France Children - No children King of Wessex - 858 - 860 Predecessor - Aethelwulf Successor - Aethelberht 834 (around) A son, Aethelbald, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh. 836 (around) Aethelbald's brother, Aethelberht, was born to…
- Father - Aethelwulf Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Wulfthryth Children - Aethelhelm, Aethelwold King of Wessex - 866 - 871 Predecessor - Aethelberht Successor - Alfred 840 (around) A son, Aethelred, was born to Aethelwulf and Osburgh. 840 (around) The Vikings began making raids along the South…
- Father - Aethelred I Mother - Wulfthryth Spouse - Unmarried Children - No children 869 (around) A son, Aethelwold, was born to King Aethelred I of Wessex and his wife, Wulfthryth. He was the couple's second son, Aethelhelm had been born around 868. 871 (22nd March)…
- Father - Egbert of Wessex Mother - Redburga (possibly) Spouse - Osburgh, Judith of France Children - Aethelstan, Aethelbald, Aethelberht, Aethelswith, Aethelred, Alfred King of Wessex - 839 - 858 Predecessor - Egbert of Wessex Successor - Aethelbald 795 (around) A son, Aethelwulf, was born to Egbert…
- Father - Aethelwulf of Wessex Mother - Osburgh Spouse - Ealhswith Children - Aethelflaed, Edward, Aethelgifu, Aethelweard, Aelfthryth King of Wessex - 871 - 899 Predecessor - Aethelred I of Wessex Successor - Edward the Elder 849 (during) A son, Alfred was born to Aethelwulf, King of Wessex…