This timeline details all Kings and Queens of Denmark from 936 to present day
Married 1. Gunhilde 2. Tove 3. Gyrid
Identity of wife not known
Married 1 Aelfgifu of Northampton 2. Emma of Normandy
At one point was King of Denmark, Norway, England and Sweden
Magnus became King of Norway on the death of Cnut and King of Denmark on the death of Cnut’s son, Harthacnut.
Married 1. Gyda of Sweden 2. Gunhildr Sweinsdottir
Married Margareta Hasbjornsdatter
Married Adela of Flanders
Murdered in 1086
Married Ingegerd of Norway
Married a Boedil Thurgotsdatter.
Married 1. Margaret, daughter of Ingel of Sweden 2. Ulfhild Hakansdotter Finson
Married Malmride of Kiev
Married Luitgard of Salzwedel
Abdicated in 1146
Married Adelaide of Meissen
Killed in battle
Married Helena of Sweden.
Married Sophia of Novgorod.
Married Gertrude of Saxony.
Married 1. Margaret of Bohemia 2. Berengaria of Portugal
Married Jutta of Saxony
Was nicknamed Ploughpenny because he put a tax on ploughs. He was murdered by his brother, Abel.
Married Matilda of Holstein
Married Margaret of Kassuben
Married Agnes of Brandenburg
Eric was forced to agree a charter of liberties which included the establishment of a parliament.
Married Ingeborg of Sweden
Married Euphemia of Pomerania
Was deposed in 1326 and restored in 1329
Married Richardis of Schwerin
Took the throne from Christopher II from 1326 – 1329
Married Hedwig of Schleswig
Copenhagen became the capital of Denmark during his reign.
Was the only King of House of Bjelbo. Did not marry
Became King at the age of 12 years. His mother acted as regent until he came of age.
Married Hakon VI, King of Norway and Sweden
Ruled Denmark after the death of her son Olaf II until she appointed Eric VII King in 1397
Married Philippa, daughter of Henry IV of England
Abdicated the throne in 1439 in favour of his nephew.
Married Dorothea of Brandenburg
Married Dorothea of Brandenburg
Was appointed King after Christian I died without issue. He married Christian’s widow, Dorothea of Brandenburg to consolidate his position. He founded the Order of the Elephant in 1462
Married Christina of Saxony
Married Isabella of Spain
Married 1. Anne of Brandenburg 2. Sophia of Pomerania
Married Dorothea of Saxe-Lauenburg
Christian III was a Lutheran and completed the Reformation in Denmark
Married Sophia of Mecklenburg
His daughter, Anne, married James I of England, VI of Scotland.
Married 1. Anne Catherine of Brandenburg 2. Christine Munk
Ruled for 60 years, the longest serving monarch in Denark
Married Sophia of Brunswick-Luneburg
Denmark became a Kingdom with a hereditory monarchy
Married Charlotte of Hesse-Cassel
Built up trade with Iceland and the Faroes and established colonies in the West Indies and Africa.
Married 1. Louise of Mecklenburg-Gustrow 2. Anne Sophia of Renventlow
Married Sophia Magdalen of Brandenburg-Kulmbach
Married 1. Louise of Great Britain 2. Juliana of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel
Married Caroline Matilda of Great Britain
His son took over as regent in 1784 after he developed a form of dementia.
Married Mary of Hesse-Cassel
Acted as regent for his father from 1784. Denmark became the first nation to abolish the slave trade in 1792.
Married 1. Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Schwerin 2. Caroline of Holst-Sonderburg-Augustenburg
Married 1. Wilhelmine daughter of Frederick VI 2. Caroline of Mecklenburg-Streilitz 3. Louise Rasmussen
Introduced a new constitution and a single assembly for all parts of Denmark.
Married Louise of Hesse-Cassel
Married Louise of Sweden and Norway
Married Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
Managed to keep Denmark neutral during the First World War. Christian X sold Denmark’s possessions in the West Indies to the United States. In 1940 Denmark was occupied by Nazi Germany.
Married Ingrid of Sweden
The laws of succession were changed to allow the succession of his eldest daughter, Margaret
Married Henry de Laborde of Denmark
Published Mar 22, 2018 @ 5:16 pm – Updated –
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2018). Kings and Queens of Denmark 936 – Present Day. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/kings-and-queens-of-denmark-936-present-day Last accessed December 12th, 2018
You may also like:
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of England from 827 to present day Since 1327 England and Wales have shared a monarch Since 1603 England, Wales and Scotland have shared a monarch England and Ireland shared a monarch from 1254 to 1936 when the Republic of Ireland broke…
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of Scotland from 843 to present day Since 1603 England, Wales and Scotland have shared a monarch See also - Kings and Queens of England 827 - Present Day HOUSE OF ALPIN Kenneth I 843 - 858 Son of Alpin,…
- Father - Unknown Mother - Unknown Spouse - Edward the Elder Children - Aethelstan, un-named daughter 877 (around) It is likely that Ecgwynn was born around this date. There are no records as to her parents' identities. 893 (during) Ecgywnn married (or had a liaison with)…
- This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 960 - 969 The king of England for this period was Edgar 960 (21st September) Dunstan received the pallium as Archbishop of Canterbury from Pope John XII 960 (after September) Edgar…
- This timeline details all Kings and Queens of Spain from 1479 to present day. Prior to 1479 the separate regions of Spain: Aragon, Asturias, Castile, Galicia, Leon and Navarre had their own monarchs and were independent of each other. Gradually these regions were conquered by Castile or Aragon. After…