Father – Gilbert Becket
Mother – Matilda
Spouse – Not married
Children – No children
Henry and Becket disagreed over payments to sherrifs.
As part of his desire to reform the church Henry demanded that clerics who had committed crimes should be unfrocked and handed over to the lay courts for punishment. Becket strongly opposed this move.
This was a clear statement of the King’s customary rights over the church. The document was comprised of sixteen articles that laid out the degree to which the pope had authority and also the customary rights enjoyed by the King over the church. The document required that the bishops promise to observe these customs in good faith.
This council found Becket guilty of perjury for failing to attend the council. As punishment it was decided he should lose his possessions.
This introduced measures for the trial by royal judges of those suspected of serious crimes. Royal judges were men who the king trusted – earls, barons abbots and counsellors.
Henry’s heated words were taken literally by four of his knights, Reginald Fitzurse, Hugh de Morville, William de Tracy and Richard le Breton. Anxious to win the kings favour they rode to Canterbury and murdered Becket in his own cathedral.
Published Aug 13, 2016 @ 12:03 – Updated –
Harvard Reference for this page:
Heather Y Wheeler. (2016). Thomas Becket 1119 – 1170. Available: https://www.totallytimelines.com/thomas-becket-1119-1170. Last accessed March 30th, 2019
You may also like:
- Father - Edmund Tudor Mother - Margaret Beaufort Spouse - Elizabeth of York Children - Arthur, Margaret, Henry, Elizabeth, Mary, Edward, Edmund, Katherine King of England - 1485 - 1509 Predecessor - Richard III Successor - Henry VIII 1457 (28th January) A son, Henry, was born to…
- Father - King Henry VII Mother - Elizabeth of York Spouse - Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Kathryn Howard, Katherine Parr Children - Mary, Elizabeth, Edward King of England - 1509 - 1547 Predecessor - Henry VII Successor - Edward VI Early…
- This timeline gives a chronological listing of the main events in English History for the years 1160 - 1169 The monarch for this period was Henry II 1160 (2nd November) Prince Henry was formally betrothed to Marguerite, Louis VII's daughter as part of a peace treaty between…
- Father - John of Gaunt Mother - Blanche of Lancaster Spouse - Mary de Bohun, Joan of Navarre Children - Edward, Henry, Thomas, John, Humphrey, Blanche, Philippa King of England - 1399 - 1413 Predecessor - Richard II Successor - Henry V 1367 (3rd April) A son, Henry…
- Father - Geoffrey of Anjou Mother - Empress Matilda Spouse - Eleanor of Aquitaine Children - William, Henry, Matilda, Richard, Eleanor, Geoffrey, Joan, John King of England - 1154 - 1189 Predecessor - Stephen Successor - Richard I 1133 (5th March ) A son, Henry, was born…